THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

My observations on US advertising

Throughout my years of watching television and viewing a myriad of advertisement which disrupted my favorite shows, (whether I like it or not) have been to please just one set of consumers.  The "straight" or "superior race." I suppose that marketers believe that the majority of their consumers are "family" oriented people whose idea of a family consists of a father, a mother, and kids.  Since then, they have evolved out of those beliefs, but the stereotype continues on the consumers side.  Many ads have been modified to attract consumers of a different sexual preference or race, of different family values or to reach a whole new demographic.  However, these ads are not welcomed by all on "public" television, and most, if not all, have been pulled off the air or advertised on specific stations which caters to these outcast consumers. I have my tastes and values, and the good thing is that regardless of discrimination, I am able to make my own choices.  To prove my observation, I will follow up with some ads which markets the same product, but only one is aired publicly.

0 comments: